Scarpar Forums » Product Questions

Handling on sealed roads

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Phillomath
  • Latest reply from ScarparTeam

No tags yet.

1. Phillomath

Watching the videos of the second prototype in action, it looks like it handles like a snowboard, with changes in direction being achieved by sliding the entire board. With the rubber tracks I would imagine the traction on a sealed surface would be phenomenal, how then do you change direction when churning up the pavement?

On my current electric skateboard leaning causes the trucks to pivot, allowing very tight turns by gripping the one edge of the board and leaning out on the opposite side. Is there any similar pivoting mechanism for the tracks on the Scarpar?

Also how much wear does riding on asphalt put on the tracks?

Really exciting looking project, can't wait till it hits retail!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ScarparTeam
    Key Master

Thanks for the post ... there are a few questions here:

Phillomath wrote:Watching the videos of the second prototype in action, it looks like it handles like a snowboard, with changes in direction being achieved by sliding the entire board. With the rubber tracks I would imagine the traction on a sealed surface would be phenomenal, how then do you change direction when churning up the pavement?

The traction is great ... but it might not be legal where you are, so you'll need to check with local authorities where it's OK to ride ... we know you'll do that

It's intended to feel like somewhere between a skateboard and a snowboard where you take a long time to make a turn happen. So, there'll be some ability to 'turn off your toes' or heels, but mostly it'll be about shifting your body weight.

Phillomath wrote: On my current electric skateboard leaning causes the trucks to pivot, allowing very tight turns by gripping the one edge of the board and leaning out on the opposite side. Is there any similar pivoting mechanism for the tracks on the Scarpar?

Yes, and in fact the inertia due to weight applifies this effect. This is one of the engineering issues we are working on.

Phillomath wrote:Also how much wear does riding on asphalt put on the tracks?

It's really designed for off-road. The tracks are likely to be polyurethene but the hardness won't be designed for concrete and ashphalt. Bottom line is it'll work, but you will need to accept that they aren't going to last as long as not riding on these surfaces.

Phillomath wrote:Really exciting looking project, can't wait till it hits retail!

Neither can we!

Cheers,

The Scarpar Team
    Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.