Scarpar Forums » Product Questions

Battery swappable

(4 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by Alex
  • Latest reply from ScarparTeam

No tags yet.

1. Alex

Will the battery be quick changeable? So you could simply have a spare in your backpack and switch it when its flat.

Im guessing you're using a type of Lithium polymer pack so the weight should only be a few kilos max i would think.
    The range you gave is pretty awesome but for people who are going to want to go for afew rounds you dont really want to have to wait for it to charge, which if you value the life of your battery (especially when id guess at 150-200 bucks US for a new one) you dont really want to try and do that in 20 mins.

I had a decent look around the forum but didnt see any mention of this which is the main issue with anything battery operated so just wanted to check what you guys had in the works, as being able to just do a 30 sec 'swap n go' would definitely be an appealing feature.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  2. ScarparTeam
    Key Master

Alex wrote:Will the battery be quick changeable? So you could simply have a spare in your backpack and switch it when its flat.

It's possible, but I think the battery (despite being LiFePo4) will be around 20kg/44lbs in the high end model, so carrying it might not be an option.

Alex wrote: Im guessing you're using a type of Lithium polymer pack so the weight should only be a few kilos max i would think.

See above ... it's an engineering issue, but basically to drive 2 x 1kw motors (the working design for the high end version) you need a lot of battery to get any distance out of it.

Alex wrote: The range you gave is pretty awesome but for people who are going to want to go for afew rounds you dont really want to have to wait for it to charge, which if you value the life of your battery (especially when id guess at 150-200 bucks US for a new one) you dont really want to try and do that in 20 mins.

Nope, the batteries will be a lot more ... they are around 50-70% of the cost of the vehicle. We don't love it either, but it's the way it is. Rapid charging is one option and there is a stack of pretty wild battery technology coming down the line but not quite there. Look at this http://www.gizmag.com/silicon-nanotubes/12947/ for a bit of view of what's coming. Ten times the charge is a massive game changer. There are other technologies around also, but for now we need to make do with LiFePo4 batteries which are stable and as dense as we can get.

Alex wrote: I had a decent look around the forum but didnt see any mention of this which is the main issue with anything battery operated so just wanted to check what you guys had in the works, as being able to just do a 30 sec 'swap n go' would definitely be an appealing feature.

Definitely the plan to be able to swap and go, but the price and weight is something we all need to deal with as it's the best battery technology there is, with the most efficient electric motors we can buy designed by world class engineers. It's going to be as good as we can get it based on available technology. We will always have our eyes on new technology as it hits and release as we are able to improve run-time.

You will not be disappointed by what we've been able to do with the existing technology!

Cheers,

The Scarpar Team
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. Alex

holy damn! at two 1kw motors no wonder, though with the speed and range numbers youve given its no wonder youll be needing that power with over a kw/h of battery capacity!
    now ive seen r/c cars and planes that have brushless dc motors on LiPo cells and they can really surprise you with the level of power, and theyre only in the 10s of watts!

I think i have been subconsciously under estimating exactly how beastly these little things are going to be. There is nothing past or present on the market that is a serious battery operated vehicle thats designed to have a punch, (unless you go to several hundred grand cars so they dont count) The electric models you are now going with might not have the same range / convenience of fuel powered ones but i have a feeling theyre going to absolutely shred peoples expectations.

so as long as you can charge one in under an hour itll be fine, then i can just buy two of them hahaha.
    but seriously i will buy two
    Posted 9 months ago #
  4. ScarparTeam
    Key Master

Hey Alex,

We see you get it now

The plan is to be a worthy option to an ATV or MotoX bike for board riders ... and electric.

Swapping batteries will not be an issue. Once we are able to share the details of the design, you'll be amazed at the the level of design detail. Our engineering partners http://www.edag.de are truly awesome! They design planes, trains and automobiles' so we are just really fortunate to have them doing this work for us.

As we edge closer to physical pre-production prototyping we have to work really hard to contain our excitement !!

Like we said ... you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the post.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,

The Scarpar Team
    Posted 9 months ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.